If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (805) 507-5507

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

5 Common Causes of FIRE

9/16/2020 (Permalink)

A home on fire with two firefighters fight the blaze from the roof and one firefighter on a ladder Over the five-year period of 2013–2017 as a whole, cooking was the leading cause of home fires Source-NFPA.ORG

SERVPRO is here for you when FIRE Damage occurs. Check out our website information for Fire Restoration. Below is a list of the top 5 Common Causes of Fire:

Cooking Fires: Cooking is one of the leading causes of home fires. Usually these fires are caused by unattended cooking and typically involve the kitchen stove. It is important you stay in the kitchen and don’t leave food unattended, especially when you are baking, roasting, frying, boiling etc. Keep flammable items away from the stove such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, aprons or towels. If you have a small grease fire, you can slide the lid over the pan and turn off the burner. For oven fires, turn the oven off but keep the oven closed. If the fire is too large, GET OUT! Close the door behind you and call 9-1-1!

Electrical Fires: First of all, always have a qualified electrician complete electrical work in your home. Faulty electrical outlets and old appliances can cause electrical fires. It is important that all major appliances are plugged directly into a wall outlet. Don’t use extension cords.

Some things to look out for:

*Circuit breakers are tripping and fuses are blowing out.

*You get a tingling feeling when you touch an appliance.

*Wall outlets look discolored or warm to the touch.

*Sparks from an outlet.

Make sure cords aren’t running under the carpet as they can heat up and cause a fire. There are circuit interrupters that can be installed to shut off electricity when it becomes overloaded.

Heating Equipment: During the winter months, we can expect to see an increased use in space heating equipment. It is important however that you take a few precautions to protect yourself and your family. Always make sure to leave at least three-feet of space from the heating equipment and anything that can catch on fire. Make sure you never leave heaters on overnight while you sleep. Make sure fireplaces and chimneys are cleaned regularly and that a screen is in place to stop ash and sparks from flying into the room. All fuel burning heaters should be vented to release fumes outside to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. Make sure your CO2 Alarms are working properly.

Candles: We all love a good scented candle filling out homes with wonderful aromas. However, those decorative candles can lead to a fire in your home. Make sure you blow out candles when you leave a room. Avoid putting them near cluttered areas. They should be on a solid surface away from flammable objects. Use flashlights for a power outage. Avoid using candles. And of course keep candles and matches away from children.

Smoking: If you smoke make sure you use fire-safe cigarettes. Smoke outside as most cigarette fires occur indoors. Keep lighters and cigarettes away from the reach of children. Put out cigarettes in a deep sturdy ashtray. E-cigarettes have also been known to catch fire while charging. So do not leave them unattended. NEVER smoke in a home were medical oxygen is being used.

The National Fire Protection Association has great information on keeping you prepared.

When fire damage has occurred, SERVPRO is here to help you rebuild the pieces. 805-507-5507

Other News

View Recent Posts