SERVPRO is READY To Handle Your Commercial Loss
Here is a photo of a large commercial loss in Ventura. Remember any TIME any SIZE, SERVPRO of NW Ventura County is here to help 805-507-5507
During these difficult times, an unexpected Water, Fire or Mold loss can ruin businesses in our Ventura Community. Check out our blog on how to prepare your business for disaster.
So what gives us the ability to handle any size disaster? The answer is our reliable franchise system. We work together and have unlimited access to commercial grade equipment that when needed, we can request additional reinforcement from a neighboring franchise, large loss division or corporate office. We also carry hundreds of air movers, dehumidifiers, and air scrubbers to help with our local jobs. We are a preferred company to many major insurance companies because they recognize we handle water mitigation the right way.
We are part of a larger infrastructure that is ready and devoted to helping our local communities. So when it comes to Disaster Relief, know that SERVPRO is here to save the day.
Faster To Any Size Disaster 805-507-5507
Christmas Fire Safety 2020
This photos shows how quickly a dry Christmas tree can be engulfed in flames when left near a heat source. Image by nfpa.org
I know it seems early to be talking about Christmas. We haven’t even bought the ingredients for our giant Turkey for Thanksgiving! But Holiday safety is best to be discussed as soon as we start seeing those twinkling lights and tinsel in the stores. Before you start your holiday decoration planning, always remember to check for possible fire hazards.
Here is a quick checklist for things to look for. You can find more information on the Red Cross Website:
- Check all holiday light cords to make sure they are not frayed or broken. Keep strands of lights to no more than three per extension cord.
- Make sure your tree is watered and kept fresh so as not to dry out. For artificial and fresh trees, make sure you keep away from fire hazards. And of course once Christmas is over make sure you dispose of your tree properly and DO NOT leave to dry out in your backyard.
- Keep candles away from decorations and make sure you blow them out before going to bed.
- When cooking on the stovetop, make sure you stay in the kitchen. Kitchen fires are still the leading cause of most house fires.
- When decorating outdoors, use outdoor approved lights and follow the fire hazard prevention labels.
Check out the NFPA for more information on fire safety. Make sure you review the fire safety plan we discussed in our October Blog with your family.
Be Safe this Holiday! And know that SERVPRO of Northwest Ventura County is always here for you when you need us 24/7!
Commercial Water Damage: SERVPRO of NW Ventura is Prepared To Handle It.
Here is a look at an airplane hangar that had a water system burst last year. SERVPRO is available 24/7 for emergency services.
When your business faces a water, fire or mold emergency, you need to think of how this impacts your business and sales. Sometimes a business can't afford to shut down production for long periods of time. It's also important that you choose a service provider that will be thorough so you don't have harmful secondary damages. That is where SERVPRO comes in.
We want our local community to thrive and get back into business. We follow all proper procedures and work with integrity so you can get back to business as usual.
No matter the size, SERVPRO of Northwest Ventura County is prepared to handle it. Working with full transparency so you understand what needs to be done and why. It's no wonder why we are part of most major insurance programs when it comes to mitigation.
CALL us when you need the professionals.
BE READY NOT RUINED: How Ventura Business Can Be Better Prepared With The READY Program
You can either be READY or be RUINED. Take advantage of this program for your Ventura Business!
Every Business Owner knows that when you open your business, you need to be prepared for work place emergencies. This is why we do safety orientations with each employee. Each business should have it's own Repair & Maintenance folder along with emergency numbers easily available to employees and management.
The READY Program with SERVPRO covers the basics in your Businesses. No cost to set up. Establishes immediate plan of action, so you don't waste time and minimize business interruption.
- SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profiles is easy to register and set up. And we here at SERVPRO of Northwest Ventura County, help set up your team. Click here to get started
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
There is no reason why you shouldn't participate in the program. Download the app and create your Profile today:
SERVPRO Ready Plan
Call to set up an appointment: 805-507-5507
Ventura Storm Threats: Flash Floods & Mudslides
Flash Floods & Mudslides can occur with little warning. BE READY! -Photo By: Mike Eliason
As we start nearing the close of Fire Season we start to face another threat that we don't always think of until it's upon us. Flash Floods & Mudslides. As our neighbors in Montecito showed us after the terrible 2018 fire season, the devastating mudslide tragedy in Montecito hit too close to home.
It is important to remember as we come out of fire season just how nature reacts to the charred debris and loose soil. A combination of Fire, Strong Winds and Heavy Rains, are the perfect recipe for disaster.
Although in California we don't see as much rain as other parts of the U.S, it is when we least expect it, that emergencies occur.
Take note of your surroundings for excess in debris and large branches. If your home is on the Ventura Hills, does your home have trenches that re-direct heavy water? Do you have reflection walls? Be aware of the warning signs and have an emergency kit ready.
Check out Ready.gov for more information on how to protect your homes against Flash Floods and Mudslides.
Sign up to receive local alerts so you are always ready:
WATCH, ADVISORY, WARNING-What Does It All Mean?
Be informed and ready! Regardless of the level, you should always be aware of your local weather. Be prepared, Be safe!
We see it on all our local news stations all the time. Wind Advisory, Fire Watch, Heat Warning! What does it all mean?
Here is a quick reference guide to help clear it up:
WATCH: In this case it means there is a chance of a condition happening and usually covers a large geographical area for a substantial amount of time. So in other words, the severe weather hasn't occurred yet but upcoming weather and conditions are setting up to potentially create dangerous conditions.
ADVISORY: Advisory is usually right above a Watch but below the level of a Warning. At this point the expected weather is likely to occur. We see this a lot in our area as Wind Advisories when the Santa Ana Winds are projected.
WARNING: At this point, the projected severe weather, is occurring, or likely to occur and you are being advised to prepare yourself and your home. Heat Warnings, High Wind Warning, Red Flag Warnings are all common warnings in our local area.
Check out the National Weather Service for more details on specific warning types.
Be sure to also sign up to receive alerts so you are prepared!
FIRE DAMAGE-How Can SERVPRO Help You?
Kitchen fires are the #1 Cause of Household Fires-according to the National Fire Protection Association
Having to deal with a fire loss can be one of the most difficult things to experience. Having to deal with the emotional aspect of the situation can be overwhelming. The aftermath of recovering, relocating and starting over can be hard to navigate. SERVPRO of Northwest Ventura County can help.
As we make our initial inspection after a fire we will assess the damage and notate the best course of action. Depending on the severity, some areas and possessions can be saved. And that is what we strive to do! Our goal is always to save & restore and only when absolute necessary do we consider it a total loss. Sometimes we are dealing with smoke damage and sometimes it may be more severe than that. Let the professionals help you understand the next steps.
We work with your insurance company to make sure they have all the details they need to complete your claim. We also communicate with you so you are 100% involved in the mitigation steps along the way.
Having to relocate your family can be daunting. We will help with pack out services and restoration. We create detailed inventory lists with photos to keep track of all your belongings. All made simpler for filing your claim. We can also attempt to bring items to as close to preloss condition as possible.
We have done this for 25 successful years. Call us any time even if it is just to ask questions.
Be Prepared. Check out the National Fire Protection Association on ways to be prepared.
SERVPRO of Northwest Ventura County is here to help 24/7/365. 805-507-5507
Water Categories & Why They Are Important To Know
When we walk into a water damage situation, it is important to know what water category we are dealing with. It is important to understand the level of contamination so we can determine the right course of action and best equipment to use for the job. Below is a quick overview of Water Categories:
- CATEGORY 1: This category is known as “clean water”. Poses little to no health risk. This water source will come from supply line leaks, faucet water, tub overflows. The problem with Category 1, is it can quickly turn into a Category 2 if left untreated.
- CATEGORY 2: This category has significant contamination microbes are now present. It has made contact with debris, chemicals or made it’s way through materials. This is commonly called “Grey Water”. Sources include, washing machine leak, discharge from a Dishwasher, toilet bowl overflow (not sewage backup) etc.
- CATEGORY 3: This category has substantial contamination. This is commonly referred to as “Black Water”. This water is unsanitary and can cause sickness. Examples include, sewage water, water with pesticides, toxic organic materials.
It is important to determine the source of the leak so we may understand what type of water we are dealing with. Our technicians are trained to handle all categories of water and are here to assist you!
CALL SERVPRO if you suspect water intrusion in your home or business. 805-507-5507
WHY SERVPRO? We are SCIENTISTS!
As Leaders in the cleaning industry we are here to help! 805-507-5507
There is a lot of science that goes behind our products and procedures. At SERVPRO of Northwest Ventura County, we use that knowledge every day in our daily routine.
The Training is Rigorous
- Initial franchise training
- On-going web-based training
- Stringent IICRC certification
- Hands-on training on the jobsite
- Lead-Safe training
- Subrogation Training
The Science We Use Everyday
- Amps and voltage, used to determine the power requirements for a job to avoid shortages and fire risk.
- GFCI’s (Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupters) essential when working in a wet environment. Acts as a circuit breaker to shut off electricity in the event of a power surge.
- Power distribution boxes that convert 240-volt circuits into 120-volt circuits. Knowing about this is critical to ensure they have the right amount of power to run the correct equipment to get the job done, without going beyond amp capacities.
- Type of extraction tools & pumps required for each type of job. All dependent on factors such as suction, lift, fluid-type
- Air-movers: How many and what type for each job. Promotes air circulation for drying
- Dehumidifiers; desiccant or refrigerant and where to place. Works to remove moisture from the air and speed the drying process.
- Air Scrubbers: Assessing whether the environment calls for extraction of air pollutants, odors, or removal of mold spores.
- Type of generator for the job. Is there electric power at the site? Sometimes portable generators are required in order to have enough power for equipment.
- Measuring the relative humidity, temperature of air masses and understanding Equilibrium Moisture Content in materials.
- Creating negative pressure, in order to control cross contamination.
- Understanding Psychrometry, Condensation, temperature control and humidity control
- Our Cleaning Agents & Products: Determining the right EPA approved chemicals for the job, the correct temperature and ratio. Understanding ingredients of chemical agents and their characteristics of nonionic, anionic, or cationic.
This is just a quick overview of what our technicians are trained to anticipate. Many ask the question “What is the best drying plan when Water Damage occurs?” and the truth is each job will occur in a different environment. At times outside factors can impede the drying process. Because of all these possible factors, there is no straight answer.
Our goal is to get you back to normal. This is why SERVPRO of Northwest Ventura County does not charge for initial inspections. CALL US 24/7 at 805-507-5507
Earthquakes & Wind Storms: How Ventura Residents Can Protect Themselves
Always Be Prepared For an Earthquake or Wind Storm!
Throughout the United States, different regions deal with different types of disasters. You have the Midwest, who live under threat of Tornadoes. Northern & Eastern States deal with freezing temperatures. In the South, we will hear of Hurricane Warnings from June-October. In our local community of Ventura, we have Earthquakes and High Winds that fuel aggressive Fire Seasons.
When Earthquakes hit, it can cause damage to water and sewer lines. These problems don’t always reveal themselves right away. Before you know it, your home can have water within the walls, ceiling or floor. Gas lines can also become disconnected during an Earthquake and cause a fire. If you notice a sulfur (rotten egg) smell, call the gas company right away. It is important to check your home after you have experienced an earthquake. You can find more information on preparing for an earthquake here.
High Winds come and go throughout the year in our Ventura Community. Make sure you are receiving alerts for your local area. When a High Wind advisory goes out there are a few things you can do. Move all patio furniture indoors. Keep all yard tools and equipment covered or within your shed. Keep debris around your home clear and dispose of large branches. Keep surrounding trees trimmed regularly. Inspect your roof for any loose shingles and repair if needed. When replacing your roof, keep extra shingles for situations like this. Loose or broken tiles can lead to water leaks in your home so it is important to take care of them early.
Always keep SERVPRO in mind when you have Storm Damage. SERVPRO of Northwest Ventura County can help you through it! 805-507-5507